Naoto Kurogane (Bloodedge Kindred), is one of the supporting protagonists in the BlazBlue series. Kurogane was the main protagonist of the light novel Bloodedge Experience, until his debut in BlazBlue: Central Fiction.
He returns in BlazBlue: Cross Tag Battle as one of the Season 2 DLC/Arcade Edition playable characters.
Originally an average high school student with the uncanny ability to see the life force value of those around him. One day he met a young blonde teenage girl named Raquel Alucard, who bears a striking resemblance to her counterpart, Rachel Alucard. Kurogane followed Raquel and saved her life, but lost his and his right arm in the process. In exchange for Naoto's help in finding the Azure, Raquel shared some of her life force and brought him back to life as well as giving him a new right arm made from her blood that Naoto can control and form at will.
In original universe, where Rachel is the only daughter of Clavis, Clavis killed Kurogane in the past. Although he have met Valkenhayn R. Hellsing, Relius Clover and especially Hazama Honoka, by the time Kurogane was sent to the universe he died by Clavis’ hand while searching for Raquel and save his home universe, some of their counterparts are different and from different future, whereas Valkenhayn recently becomes older, and Hazama do not recall meeting him, although the two formers whom Naoto met remembers him, no matter what universes he’s from. It also reveals that he and his illegitimate sister Saya Terumi are the originator behind the births of Ragna the Bloodedge, Jin Kisaragi/Hakumen, and Saya (alongside her other-halves Noel Vermillion/Mu-12 and Hades Izanami), Lambda-11, and Nu-13, whereas the original Saya was their “mother” upon being used as a template for Prime Field Devices, meaning Kurogane is indirectly their “uncle”.
- Unlike Jin Kisaragi’s counterpart, Hakumen, Kurogane is the only character whose prime counterpart died.
- His inclusion in this game can be similar to Future Trunks from other Arc System Works’ latest game, Dragon Ball FighterZ.
- He is the only BlazBlue character on not to have space-based “=“ mark on Japanese text name, nod to which alternate timeline he hailed from, making Kurogane the only character originating from the past in this game. Before him in his home series, he was preceded by Bang Shishigami on retaining their Japanese-based identity naming.
- He is the second blood fighter after Carmine Prime.
- Any single-related life force syncing intro against opponent with his Hunter’s Eye is likely be removed due to being the intro sequence being too different than regular mainline BlazBlue games.
- He should not be mistaken to the first Naoto before him, whose last name is Shirogane and she is from the Persona universe. Even with his inclusion in this game, both Naotos still don’t have their Western-based Versus/Lifebar/Win/Victory names updated to avoid their first names clashing and being mistaken from each other's identities, unlike in Bandai Namco’s Tekken Tag Tournament 2 on both Marshall and Forest Laws. Instead, they can only be recognized by their series color on Versus/Victory names.